One long week end, we had way too much apples left from the grocery shopping of the week end before. The man hooman asked me if I can make apple cake to use up some of the apples. And as I often do with a lot of my baking escapades, I went out to make a cupcake that used apples plus bananas (because we had a couple of overripe ones in the fridge too) and used only doggie friendly ingredients so that my furbabies can have some as well.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup peanut butter (ideally organic and no sugar added)*
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup oat flour*
- 1 egg
- 1 – 2 banana (overripe preferred)
- 1—2 apples
- at least 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Optional: Honey – for humans; if the current mixture is not sweet enough for you
How to make fruit sweetened peanut butter cupcakes that both humans and small dogs will love:
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius or about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the coconut flour, oat flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt in one bowl. Mix well.
- Add all the other ingredients (except for the apple(s) in another bowl. Mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Wash the apple(s). Cut the fruit in quarters and remove the seeds and core. Process 5-10 seconds using a food processor or a blender. If you don’t have a food processor or blender, then dicing the apples will also work. Add to the mixture and mix again until combined.
- Place cupcake liners in your mini and normal size cupcake mold.Fill the cupcake liners with the batter up to ¾ full.
- Place the filled cupcake molds in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean .
- Once done, place on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature (By the way, this goes really well with vanilla ice cream). For the pupcakes/cupcakes not consumed within the day, it is best to store them in a tight container inside the fridge.
This cupcake/pupcake was especially baked for both furbabies and hoomans. The recipe makes about 16 mini pupcakes plus 9 human normal size cupcakes. This can be frozen if desired.
Our chihuahuas, Butch and Yana looooovve peanut butter and like apples and bananas thus the combination in this recipe. If your furbabies are fond of the above too, then this is a perfect recipe for you to try. I guarantee it is a hit with furbababies and hoomans alike!
* If you do not have oat flour, you can use normal oatmeal (not quick cooking) processed into powder consistency using a food processor or blender.
** FOR HOOMAN CUPCAKES ONLY – you can top them with nuts or choco chips too =)
Making mealtimes cuter, healthier and greener
Healthy food should be served to your dog in natural and toxic free containers. Please check out or NARA bamboo dog bowls made from up cycled bamboo shavings as an eco-friendly alternative (CLICK HERE) or send an email to email@example.com. We are happy to answer any of your questions or concerns.
Features that make a difference
- Small dog bowls made from upcycled bamboo shavings and GMO free corn starch
- Certified safe from toxic substances based on LFGB and FDA standards
- BPA, BPS, PVC, lead and phthalate free!
- Includes colors dogs can see (yellow and blue shades) in matte finish
- With side ears for easy grip and handling
- Tough and durable (although not indestructible) plus does not shatter like glass or ceramic bowls
- Biodegradable - once finished with them, compost them!